- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Maharaja Suheldev Memorial and development work of Chittaura Lake at Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh via video conference. The Prime Minister also inaugurated the medical College building named after Maharaja Suheldev.
A BRIEF NOTE ON MAHARAJA SUHELDEV
- Suheldev was the king of Shravasti during the 11th century.
- According to the biography of Salar Masud historical romance ‘Mirat-i-Masudi’, Suhaldev was the eldest son of King Mordhwaj of Shravasti.
- In different versions of the legends, he is known by different names, including Sakardev, Suhirdadhwaj, Suhridil, Suhridal-dhaj, Rai Suhrid Dev
- He is known in history for waging guerrilla warfare against Mahmud Ghazni’s colossal army.
WAR AGAINST MAHMUD GHAZNI’S ARMY
- King Suheldev was deeply moved by the loot and destruction of the magnificent Somnath temple by invader Mahmud Ghazni that he decided to give up the comfort of royal life as a prince.
- King Suheldev waged guerrilla warfare against Mahmud Ghazni’s army.
- His guerrilla warfare against Mahmud Ghazni began with the killing of his elder brother, Malladev, while defending the Somnath Temple from the latter’s army
- During invasion of Mahmud Ghazni, both Suheldev and his father King Mangaldhwa tried to convince other kings to protect the motherland especially the Somnath temple but failed
- Maharaja Suheldev, who ruled in the 11th century, Suheldev killed Salar Masood, the nephew of Mahmud Ghazni in 1033 on the banks of Chittaura Lake in Bahraich.
- In this battle, Suheldev’s army completely destroyed Salar Masood’s army.