NIPUN BHARAT MISSION
- Ministry of Education has launched a National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy (NIPUN Bharat), for ensuring that every child in the country necessarily attains foundational literacy and numeracy (FLN) by the end of Grade 3 by 2026-27.
MORE ABOUT NIPUN BHARAT MISSION
- The National Mission which has been launched under the aegis of the centrally sponsored scheme of Samagra Shiksha.
- The Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education (MoE) will be the implementing agency at the national level and will be headed by a Mission Director.
- It will focus on providing access and retaining children in foundational years of schooling; teacher capacity building; development of high quality and diversified Student and Teacher Resources/Learning Materials; and tracking the progress of each child in achieving learning outcomes.
- The mission will focus on children of age group of 3 to 9 years including pre-school to Grade 3.
OBJECTIVES OF MISSION
- To ensure an inclusive classroom environment by incorporating play, discovery, and activity-based pedagogies, linking it to the daily life situations of the children and formal inclusion of children’s home languages.
- To make children understand the reasoning in the domains of number, measurement and shapes; and enable them to become independent in problem solving by way of numeracy and spatial understanding skills.
- To ensure availability and effective usage of high-quality and culturally responsive teaching learning material in children’s familiar/home/mother language(s).
- To enable children to become motivated, independent and engaged readers and writers with comprehension possessing sustainable reading and writing skills.
- To focus on continuous capacity building of teachers, head teachers, academic resource persons and education administrators.
- To actively engage with all stakeholderse., Teachers, Parents, Students and Community, policy makers for building a strong foundation of lifelong learning.
- Foundational skills enable to keep children in class thereby reducing the dropouts and improve transition rate from primary to upper primary and secondary stages.
- Activity based learningand conducive learning environment will improve quality of education.
- Innovative pedagogies such as toy-based and experiential learning will be used in classroom transaction thereby making learning a joyful and engaging activity.
- Intensive capacity building of teachers will make them empowered and provide greater autonomy for choosing the pedagogy.
- Holistic development of the child by focusing on different domains of development like physical and motor development, socio-emotional development, literacy and numeracy development, cognitive development, life skills etc. which are interrelated and interdependent, which will be reflected in a Holistic Progress Card.
- Children to achieve steeper learning trajectory which may have positive impacts on later life outcomes and employment.
- Since almost every child attends early grades, therefore, focus at that stage will also benefit thesocio-economic disadvantageous group thus ensuring access to equitable and inclusive quality education.