GI CERTIFIED BHALIA WHEAT
- The crop is grown mostly across Bhal region of Gujarat which includes Ahmadabad, Anand, Kheda, Bhavanagar, Surendranagar, Bharuch districts.
- The GI certified wheat has high protein content and is sweet in taste.
- Bhalia Wheat is rich in Gluten, a type of amino acid.
- It has a high amount of carotene and has low absorption of water.
- The unique characteristic of the wheat variety is that grown in the rainfed condition without irrigation and cultivated in around two lakh hectares of agricultural land in Gujarat.
- This is the second most important cereal crop.
- It is the main food crop, in north and north-western part of the country.
- This rabi crop requires a cool growing season and a bright sunshine at the time of ripening.
- It requires 50 to 75 cm of annual rainfall evenlydistributed over the growing season.
- There are two important wheat-growing zones in the country – the Ganga-Satluj plains in the northwest and black soil region of the Deccan.
- The major wheat-producing states are Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan and parts of Madhya Pradesh.