- Recently, the Union Minister of Atomic Energy and Space informed that the crewed Gaganyaan mission will finally be launched in 2023.
MORE ABOUT GAGANYAN
- The Gaganyaan Programme envisages undertaking the demonstration of human spaceflight to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in the short-term and will lay the foundation for a sustained Indian human space exploration programme in the long run.
- The objective of Gaganyaan programme is to demonstrate indigenous capability to undertake human space flight mission to LEO.
LIKELY BENEFITS OF GAGANYAAN PROGRAMME
The Human spaceflight programme has both tangible and intangible benefits for the nation, which includes:
- Progress towards a sustained and affordable human and robotic programme to explore the solar system and beyond.
- Advanced technology capability for undertaking human space exploration, sample return missions and scientific exploration.
- Future capability to actively collaborate in global space station development & to carry out scientific experiments of interest to the nation.
- Create a broad frame work for wider Academia – Industry partnership in taking up development activities for national development.
- Ample scope for employment generation and human resource development in advanced science and R&D activities.
- Unique opportunity to inspire and excite Indian youth and steer many students toward careers in science and technology towards challenging jobs that encourage knowledge, innovation and creativity.
- The programme will strengthen international partnerships and global security through the sharing of challenging and peaceful goals. Having a vibrant human spaceflight programme can be leveraged as a potent foreign policy tool.
NEW TECHNOLOGIES REQUIRED FOR GAGANYAAN PROGRAMME
The major new technologies required for Gaganyaan programme are as follows:
- Human rated launch vehicle
- Crew escape systems
- Habitable orbital module
- Life support system
- Crew selection and training and associated crew management activities
EXECUTING OF THE GAGANYAAN
- The Gaganyaan Programme is going to be a major National effort.
- The overall programme co-ordination, systems engineering and implementation will be carried out by ISRO. Further, the human rated launch vehicle, crew escape system, Orbital module and essential infrastructure will be realised by ISRO utilizing the in-house expertise and with participation of Industry, Academia and National agencies.
- The private players in the country have developed significant expertise in niche areas, and this will be effectively utilized in the programme.