ARIIA 2021 RANKINGS
Why in News
- Recently, the Ministry of Education’s innovation cell released the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2021.
- The very first edition of ARIIA started in 2019.
- It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Education and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to systematically rank all the major higher educational institutions and universities in India on indicators related to “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development” amongst students and faculties.
- More than quantity, ARIIA focuses on quality of innovations and tries to measure the real impact created by these innovations nationally and internationally.
Parameters of the Evaluation: ARIIA evaluates institutions on parameters such as:
- Budget & Funding Support
- Infrastructure & Facilities
- Awareness, Promotions & support for Idea Generation & Innovation
- Promotion & Support for Entrepreneurship Development
- Innovative Learning Methods & Courses
- Intellectual Property Generation, Technology Transfer & Commercialization
- Innovation in Governance of the Institution
- The rankings were made under two categories: Technical and Non-Technical.
The technical category included 5 sub-categories-
- Central Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs), Central University, & Institute of National Importance
- State University & Deemed University (Govt. & Govt. Aided); Govt. College/Institution (Govt. & Govt. Aided)
- University & Deemed University (Self-Finance/Private); Private College/Institute (Self-Finance/Private)
- The non-technical category included two sub-categories-Central Funded Institutes (CFIs)/Central University/Institute of National Importance (Non-Technical)
- General (Non-Technical)
Topper Institutes in 2021:
- Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & CFTIs:
- IIT Madras followed by IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi.
- In government and government-aided universities: Panjab University
- Govt. and Govt. Aided College/Institutes: College of Engineering Pune
- Private or Self-Financed Universities: Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Khordha
- Private or Self-Financed College/Institutes: G H Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur
- Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & CFTIs (non-technical): Indira Gandhi National Open University
- General (Non-Technical): Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India
Significance of the Ranking:
- The rankings will certainly inspire Indian institutions to reorient their mind-set and build ecosystems to encourage high quality research, innovation and entrepreneurship in their campuses.
- Further, the recently announced New Educational Policy 2020 will also make these efforts more effective and efficient, and impactful in the long run.
- India is constantly improving on Global Innovation Index (GII) ranking and has now moved upward to 46th position in 2021 from 81st in 2015. It has also emerged as the world’s third-largest startup hub.
India Rankings 2021:
- It was released by the Ministry of Education instituted by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) (sixth edition).
QS World University Rankings:
- It is an annual publication of university rankings which comprises the global overall and subject rankings released by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS).
World University Ranking:
- It is released by Times Higher Education (THE).